Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Biscuits Anyone?

When I was growing up, Memma made homemade biscuits every morning for breakfast.  We had never even heard of canned biscuits.  Granddaddy would have had a duck fit if Memma had put a canned biscuit on the breakfast table.  I can just see her now, that apron on, bent over a bowl of flour, her hands working that dough.  She rolled that dough out with a rolling pin and cut the biscuits out with her biscuit cutter.  I mean to tell you, those were good biscuits.  I am going to get her biscuit cutter the next time I go home.

Biscuit Recipe

2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup butter taken right from the refrigerator - cut into small slices
1 cup whole buttermilk

Preheat over to 450 degrees.  Grease a cooking sheet.
Place flour in a medium bowl, cut in butter with a pastry blender or take your hands and mix it in.  Slowly add buttermilk, stirring with a fork until combined.  Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead 2 to 3 times until dough is smooth.  Pat dough to 1/4- inch thickness, fold dough in half so dough measures 1/2- inch thickness.  Using a 3-inch cutter or a drinking glass, cut out dough.  Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet and brush with melted butter.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
I seem to recall that Memma probably used lard to make her biscuits instead of butter.

My sister and I used to take one of Memma's biscuits, slice in half, put a slice of butter on it, and then a dollop of sugar.  Oh yeah!  We did.

No comments:

Post a Comment