Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Carol's Mom's Chocolate Gravy

Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate gravy?  My friend and cousin Carol's Mom made the best chocolate gravy.  I would spend the night with Carol and wake to the smell of hot biscuits and that faint, sweet smell of chocolate gravy. Neither my Mom nor my Memma made chocolate gravy.  They always made red-eye gravy or gravy that we called thickening gravy (go figure).  So, to have Ruth's chocolate gravy was such a treat.  Ruth, Carol's Mom, was so much like my Memma when it came to cooking.  Ruth and Memma's pots never ran empty.  They could feed an army.  Ruth was the sweetest lady and to put up with me and Carol..well, she was the jewel of the nile. And, I think she rather enjoyed having the two of us around, because once after I was grown, I stopped by to see her and she said, "I would give anything to have you and Carol spend the night here again.  To have you both together, like in the old days."  What a sweet thing to say.  You know, I never called her anything but Ruth---not Ms. Ruth or Ms. Latham...just Ruth.

To Ruth's chocolate gravy and to a terrific lady!  If I could go back in time, I would want to spend time with Ruth and my Memma.


Chocolate Gravy from Paula Deen
  • 1/3 stick butter
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 2 cups whole milk
Heat butter in a cast iron skillet over low heat. Mix in sugar, flour and cocoa. Slowly pour 1 cup of milk into the skillet and whisk well to remove lumps. Whisk in remaining milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, being careful not to scorch. Serve hot over biscuits.

 Chocolate gravy
Ingredients:
3/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of butter

Method:
Mix together in a pot the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon (can sift if it’s too lumpy). Add the milk and while stirring cook on medium heat until it thickens. Stir in the vanilla and butter and serve immediately with biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment