- the dogwood tree at Memma's ...all of the kids climbed that dogwood tree..not sure how it is still standing...kids, grandkids, great-grandkids...all had a shot at that tree...
- Making mud pies and tasting them...that is a classic...Charlene I had forgotten how we used to do that...We did that at Memma's and on the old farm across the railroad tracks..out under that big old shade tree
- Shock theater on Saturday night...Ha that is a good one..I used to watch that with Mama
- Riding in the back of my VW...wow that had to be a treat!! Especially as I was learning to drive the stick shift..
- And, she remembers Lay's slaw dogs...Lordy, how good were they? I loved those.
- That peanut butter candy (hard shell candy) at Elmore's
- Cashews at Elmore's - they don't taste the same anymore
- Doing the hula hoop on the square in S'boro trying to sell the hula hoops for Elmore's (Dime Store)
- Going to the gin with Granddaddy with a wagon load of cotton and watching that big old tube come down into the wagon and Granddaddy would move that thing around and suck up the cotton
- Drinking Kool-Aid on hot summer days
- Making home made ice cream in the old hand crank ice cream makers
- Memma's blackberry cobbler's on Sunday
- Memma's hot banana pudding with the meringue on top
- Memma's poor man's cobbler
- Aunt Lorene's cornbread
- Aunt Lorene's scrambled eggs
- Me, Jean and Charles sitting in the barn loft and a big old black snake got between us and the ladder to go down....
- Me and Jean going "partially" skinny dipping in a creek out at Skyline and Charles stealing our Clothes and we had to walk up the road to the house in our underwear..(what we sent swimming in)
- Ms. Fern playing the piano at the L'ville Methodist Church
- Cousin Sammy
- Me and Carol always talking about "hobo'ing a train
- Revival at the L'ville Methodist Church
- Summer Vacation Bible School
More from Charlene:
Stomping around the mud holes at Memma's after a fresh rain...with Memma and her big size 10 foot right behind us...and Boyd shooting Jo with a BB gun and Ilene getting a belt after him....
Hugh Latham's store...getting potato chips, coke and a candy bar from the store for 25 cents...
Black and white TV's and having to go outside and turn the antenna to get another station...we only got three..that is a good one, Charlene ..and she says having to stomp the floor to make the TV stop rolling. Also, when Jo would see company coming up the dirt driveway..she would grab a broom and sweep stuff under the rug (we used to do that too). And, listening to Johnny Horton...some of Cecil's favorite music and dancing around while listening. Good times!!!