Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Feeling Younger - Nix Your Naysayer - Part II

I studied with Marc Chatov, an excellent portrait painter, and he suggested that we read, "The Artist Way" by Julia Cameron.  This is an excellent book.  One thing she recommended is that each morning, the first thing you do when you awake, is right down all of the negative.  Get it out of your system.  Slay the naysayer.  Get rid of the negative.  Take five minutes and do this each day.  This helps to provide you with more positive energy.  And, keeps things that you want to do fresh in your mind.  And, don't let the nayslayers hold you back.  Do you know someone who is always telling you that you are stupid for trying to do or wanting to do something that is really important to you?  Don't talk to them about it.  Find someone who is encouraging and positive.  This will make you feel good about yourself and make you feel young.

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Way-Julia-Cameron/dp/0330343580

2 comments:

  1. Good advice! I once sought the advice of a psychologist to discuss my “next phase” of life. I was searching for purpose and needed some guidance. After 20 or 30 minutes into the discussion, I mentioned that I wanted to go back to school and study law. She leaned closer toward me and said, “I think – at your age – you should not set your goals so high, perhaps you should just get involved in voluntary work.” I don’t think I “heard” anything else she said during our one-hour visit. All I could hear in my head was “give up…you’re too old.” Needless to say, I never went back to this lady or anyone else for that matter. I will give the Dr. some credit though…one – she convinced me NOT to try and get “buy-in” or “permission” to do something I thought to be worthwhile and doable. Also, I think even the Dr. realized she had made a mistake by giving me such advice. No sooner had I arrived home, the Dr. called to say she thought she may have “over stepped her boundaries and was too harsh.” No – I am not enrolled in law school – yet. But, I am studying for the LSAT. Who knows???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is right, who knows! You have always and will always continue to inspire me. You can do anything that you please!! You go girl! And, that Dr. just don't know what a couple of girls from Larkinsville can do, especially when they set their minds to it!

    ReplyDelete