Thursday, July 28, 2011

Comments from Danny - Remembering and loving LA - Larkinsville

Ya'll, (Paula, honey you do not have the market on that word) read Danny's comments!  If you cannot see them, let me know and I will post.  He posted some great remembrances from Larkinsville!!  What memories.  I remember Pop Verhine and Ms. Verhine and sweet Ms. Henderson.  Ms. Fern and her flaming red heart ( I should be the one to talk to day...Ha ha).  And, of course, Mr. and Mrs. Petty who were the postmasters.  Also, Raye Woosley...she was the light of my life.  She was the postmaster for awhile and I spent a lot of time with her.  I wanted to put mail in those little cubes when I grew up.  Splitting posts...yes - and I remember the strangers that used to come to town to split those posts, too.  Also, hobos were known to get off they train in Larkinsville and go from house to house, asking for food. 

You know, we didn't have two nickels to rub together growing up, but we were pretty darned happy for the most part.  Eating those pinto beans and cornbread - we were lucky to have that.  I miss all of those people in Larkinsville.  Ms. Metcalf, Ms. Bernice ---do you all remember her and those bulldogs she had?  They used to scare the crap out of me. 

And, all of the women at the Methodist Church?  What cooks they were.  And, Houston and Evelyn ---I loved them so much.  They were good people.  They did so much for all of us kids when we were growing up and going to the church there.  We had Christmas plays and they did it all for us....I will never forget them. 
Gosh, was it just yesterday?

No comments:

Post a Comment